Giesegaard Estate and park
Giesegaard is one of the younger manors on Zealand, and was first established in 1683
Giesegaard has since 1736 been owned by the noble family Schack.
The current main building, which there is no public entry to, was build under the ownership of Countess Anna Sophie Schack in the years 1750 and 1751, but was rebuilt in 1873 in a more Renaissance style. Also the copper towers and sandstone ornaments on the plastered wall was added then.
The Manor house
Giesegaard’s present building was originally build under Countess Anna Sophie Schack in the year 1750 to 1751. The building was originally on one floor, but in 1843 other floor was added. Furthermore, the building was two long rows of windows as well as an Italian roof. At the center of both facades is a single triangular gable.
In 1873, Anna Sophie Schack’s main building was rebuilt in Renaissance style, adding copper towers and sandstone ornaments to the plastered walls. Further more, the building was equipped with a low hipped roof. These changes were made by the architect Zeltner.
In 1904, the building was restored, and under this restoration, several of the previous decorations was removed, and the building came to stand with whitewashed masonry surfaces.
Knowledge of the manor’s oldest buildings is limited today, but it is know that the first building from around 1670 was build in half-timbering.
The very large park next to the manor house, has public entry, and you will be able to take a walk among rare trees, and lakes, and wild medows full of insects and other animals.
There is free public access to the park every day between 09:00 and 16:00, from Fællesskiftevej.
No entry to the Manor house.
Find on Google: